Friday, April 27, 2012

Blogs

Mudwig has done me the courtesy/favor/compliment of mentioning my blog in his own, one of the three that I currently read.  The other two can be found in my blogroll on the right.

Which got me to thinking.  Why only three?

Living in the United Arab Emirates, a place where a Westerner like myself would only live for one reason, I bump into a censorship banner pretty much about once a day.  It looks like this:

That's the screen that pops up whenever I try to go to pokerstars.com.  Or any number of sites that offend the Muslim belief system.  Which is most of the shit that Westerners do, write, or think about.

Makes me want to bash my face onto another another face.

Oddly enough, the UAE allows twoplustwo poker.  For a year or so, 2p2 was banned.  Now it is open.  Apparently there's a sheik somewhere that likes poker.  Ipso facto, I get it too.  Lucky me.

(By the way, if the UAE ever opened itself up to online poker, the rest of the world would instantly see its profit rate spike like beer sales during the World Cup.  These people combine the best possible traits that we need in a first-rate loser: arrogance, stupidity, delusion, and insane wealth.

(As another aside, I am currently teaching game theory to an Emirati who wants to play poker against me.  This is a guy who bragged about spending $250 on a pizza in Beirut and not liking it.  I just can't find it in myself to take advantage of this student . . . at least not while the semester is in full swing.  Maybe I'll see what I can get from him in the fall . . . And how much is he willing to lose?  He could be a boon to my worldview.))

But I was trying to figure out why I check out these three blogs in particular.  The big answer for me is that (1) I like their topics (usually humorous or poker-related) and (2) they update regularly.  I like the idea that I can check their website very few days and find something fresh.  Okay, that isn't entirely true, but I can rely on seeing something new within a week.  If they didn't update often, I probably wouldn't bother to check them out.

Humor is a key.  Here is a prime example.

But in my dreamworld, my favorite blogs would update daily.

I had two blogs prior to this one.  Deleted them both.  Still don't know why.  But one thing I didn't do with those two was to update as regularly as I'd like.  I want to be the blogger that I'd want to check in on.  So that means I have to write something every . . . single . . . day.  Working out so far.  

I wonder when I'll fail myself.  Next Wednesday?

No comments:

Post a Comment