Wednesday, November 28, 2012

November Goal Update

Well, last month I set an optimistic goal for myself: To write fiction for 50 hours.  I was actually ahead of pace, completing 33-plus hours on October 20th or so, completing two long-ish chapters of what seems to be a very long story, when I got hit with food poisoning.  Never felt so weak in my life.  Lay in bed for three days.

After that, I didn't return to the goal.  It seemed too unlikely to complete by the end of October.  Turns out, I haven't returned to that story.  Perhaps I will start again soon.  I hope so.

Anyhoo, my November goal seemed just as difficult to me: No alcohol for the entire month of November.  I had a couple of cranky days during the first week of November, but I'm not sure whether that was the result of the non-drinking or a bad day or just moodiness.  After that first week, I scarcely noticed that I wasn't having a beer while watching Homeland, or blogging, or playing Plants vs. Zombies, and doing any of the other things that wastes my evenings.

So here I am, November 28th, and I have almost completed my goal.  Feel pretty good about it.  I have long been a habitual drinker.  I think I do it for three reasons: It feels good; it relaxes me; and I have a habit-forming personality.

But part of me wondered if it had become a problem for me.

Would I get the shakes?  Insomnia?  Think about booze all the time?

Nope, nope, nope.  I just developed a new habit: to not drink.

The only day that was a challenge for me was Thanksgiving.  I went to a Thanksgiving party thrown by a friend, and everyone was drinking.  I nursed a Coke or two before it was time to go.  But that was tough.  However, I think it would've been tough not to drink in that situation for almost anyone.

Considering how easy this goal has been for me, I feel really good about myself in this regard.  It is nice to come to such a pleasant self-realization.

Also, the idea of setting 30-day goals seems like a helpful one.

In this case, I think that I will leave the 30-day goal as a 30-day goal.  What I mean is, I think I'm having a beer once December first rolls around.  At midnight.

Having a beer to celebrate a month of sobriety?  Seems fitting.

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to be able to have the will power to stop drinking soda's for a month - but a month is too long....
    I'd have to start at a day and see if I can do that without suffering DT's

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about other 30-day goals where I stop doing something. In order of difficulty, and with some overlap, here they are, with the most difficult at the top and the easiest at the bottom.

    1. Cigarettes
    2. All sugar
    3. Soda (especially Coke)
    4. Coffee
    5. Candy
    6. Booze

    So your challenge would be way harder for me than mine.

    Before I started this month's challenge, though, I would've guessed that booze would be #2 or #3. Not anymore.

    ReplyDelete