Tuesday, May 22, 2012

1995

I came across a fun blog post on allmusic.com about 1995.  In a nutshell, it says that 1995 was a damn fine year for music.  Then it provides a list of the best albums of that year.  Here it is:

Pulp – Different Class
Pavement – Wowee Zowee
Elastica – Elastica
Supergrass – I Should Coco
Oasis – (What’s the Story) Morning Glory?
Blur – The Great Escape
Tricky – Maxinquaye
PJ Harvey – To Bring You My Love
Urge Overkill – Exit the Dragon
Menswear – Nuisance
Whale – We Care
Radiohead – The Bends
Gene – Olympian
The Boo Radleys – Wake Up!
Rancid – …And Out Come the Wolves
Stereolab – Music for the Amorphous Body Study Center
Helium – The Dirt of Luck
Mercury Rev – See You on the Other Side
Sonic Youth – Washing Machine
Foo Fighters – Foo Fighters
Royal Trux – Thank You
The Amps – Pacer
Björk – Post
Genius/GZA – Liquid Swords
Matthew Sweet – 100% Fun
Raekwon – Only Built 4 Cuban Linx…
Eric Matthews – It’s Heavy in Here
Ol’ Dirty Bastard – Return to the 36 Chambers
The Chemical Brothers – Exit Planet Dust
Black Grape – It’s Great When You’re Straight…Yeah

I'm not sure if this list convinces me that 1995 was a damn fine year for music.  But to tell the truth, I only recognize 8 of these 30 albums.  (I recognize many more of the musicians; I'm just talking about the albums.)  Matthew Sweet's 100% Fun, Rancid's . . . And Out Come the Wolves, Radiohead's The Bends, Tricky's Maxinquaye, and the albums by Pavement, Oasis, and Pulp.  Oops, that's seven.  Of those seven, my favorite is Pavement's Wowee Zowee.

Makes me want to download the Rancid album.  I don't have anything remotely like it in my music collection.

I am shocked at how much the albums by Oasis have aged.  I never play them anymore.  Did I kill them through overplaying?  That's how I killed the Police.  But in all fairness, the Police deserved to be killed.

I think it would be fun to collect as much music as I can from a specific year.  But hopefully not a lame year like 1988.  I'm not sure if 1995 would be the place to start.  And nothing recent either.  2001?

No comments:

Post a Comment