Saturday, May 19, 2012

Band Wars--Quarters--John Talabot vs. Spiritualized

John Talabot, fin





vs. Spiritualized, Sweet Heart Sweet Light



Mellow house music versus space rock.  Both very good albums.  But one of these ends up being more creative, more diverse, and generally more interesting.  I'll end up playing both often, at least until I get tired of them.

When do you get tired of albums, by the way?  How many CDs do you have on your hard drive that never get played anymore?

John Talabot's "So Will Be Now"



Spiritualized's "Little Girl"


In the end, I think I'll play John Talabot more than I'll play Spiritualized, despite Spiritualized being the better album.  So in a roundabout way, I'm choosing Spiritualized.

And here we have it: the Final Four.  If I were an oddsmaker, I'd guess the long shot to be Youth Lagoon, which I never imagined would make it this far.  The other three CDs seem equally likely to win, with perhaps a slight edge to M83.

In my next post, I'll finish the semifinals and the finals all at once.  Time to finish this game!  The post should be up by tomorrow at the latest.


Ranking the losers from #5 to #16:

5.  John Talabot
6.  Lotus Plaza
7.  The Men
8.  Girls
9.  Atlas Sound
10.  Real Estate
11. St. Vincent
12. Cloud Nothings
13. Grimes
14. Perfume Genius
15. Julia Holter
16. Frankie Rose

So Julia Holter ending up advancing to the quarterfinals by being pitted against the only band in the competition that she was better than.

No comments:

Post a Comment