Monday, May 21, 2012

Scattered Thoughts

Downloaded some music recently.  Funny, the most-viewed post on this blog is the one where I made a list of the music that I had been downloading.  Surprising.

In any case, here's what I've added over the last couple weeks:

Actress, R.I.P.
Beach House, Bloom (highly reviewed by pitchfork, but nothing amazing, just pretty good)

Whoa, that's it.  I've mentioned Boards of Canada and Fever Ray already.  I guess I'm slowing down quite a bit on the DL front.

Summer's coming.  Time to buy my plane ticket back home.  One cool thing that I've noticed recently: If you're flying from, say, Paris to Chicago, and if you have a few days to spare, then flying multi-way will only cost you a bit more (and might cost you less).

Example.  You are flying out of Chicago on the 1st to Paris and returning to Chicago on the 15th.  If you are able to leave Paris on the 12th, you can stop off somewhere else--like London--and add a two- or three-day vacation into the mix.

Maybe this is obvious to the world and I'm the last one to learn it.  The whole setup sounds like free food and I love it.

Here's another thing.  When I was a child, I would get chills up my spine.  I had never heard of anyone else getting chills up their spine.  I had, in fact, never heard the expression "chill up one's spine."  So when it happened to me, I imagined myself different from the rest of humanity.  I began to suspect, in fact, that I was an alien.  When the alien blood moves through me, I figured, I get a chill, because alien blood is cold.  It was profoundly logical to my child's brain.

It took me a long time before I removed all doubt on that score.  Sometimes I'm still not sure.

I think this is a common feeling with introverts.  In my sophomore year of college, I met an introvert/outcast in one of the dorms.  His vibe screamed that no one understood him.  When we were alone, I said, "You ever get the feeling that you're from another planet?"

His eyes lit up and he nodded fiercely.  It was such a shocking reaction that I felt like I had to get out of there ASAP.  So I did.  Which probably made him feel more like an alien that ever before.

1 comment: