Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Facebook Denier

It has been four or five days since I have logged onto Facebook, something that says a lot considering how habit-forming I am.  If I find a website that I like, I'll typically visit it three or four times a day.  If I find a website that I don't like, I'll visit it once or twice a day.  In other words, if you want to destroy my world, you don't need to do any more than send me 100 websites to check out.  I won't ever leave my apartment.  Some of the websites that I visit include yahoo, google, wikipedia, metacritic, pitchforkmedia, pokerandbridge blog, pokergrump blog, and anothergreatblog.  The last few on this list are better than the first few.

Facebook was another one of the gang.  Facebook was also the most disappointing.

I log on, and someone has posted a link to an article that I should read.  Except the article tells me that Obama was born in Africa.

I log on, and someone has posted a link to show me which song was #1 on the day that I was born.  And the song sucks.

Etc.

I would just delete my account, but my facebook-using family might be upset.  So I'm trapped.

In this case, passive resistance seems the best option.  The winning move seems to be to refuse to log on.

A friend said, "That won't last long.  They'll try to get you back.  They'll send you an email after a few days."

I figured she was right.  And she was.  Today, sitting in my inbox, is a facebook message that basically reads, "All of these friends have posted updates!  Check it out!"

I'll pass.  The only thing that kept me visiting that site was my OCD.  And I already know now, thanks to facebook, what happened on the day of my birth: UK historical decimal postage stamps were first issued for sale in Britain.

Facebook is the death of trivia.

No comments:

Post a Comment