Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Album Capsules--The Flaming Lips

The Flaming Lips

The Terror

68/100

Today is album review day, I guess, but I'm on vacation and it's fun playing new music all day long.  (Capsules of new albums by the Strokes, the motion picture soundtrack for the new movie "Trance," and Justin Timberlake were all added today.)  Anyhoo, The Terror is like walking into a haunted house full of interesting sounds but no real songs.  It drones, it's got authentic boogeyman sounds, looping synthesizers, and a dark tone.  But it's a constant battle between boredom and the unexpected parts meant to be scary.  Perhaps the most optimistic assessment is that it's a "difficult" album, a "grower," one that I will come to appreciate in time.  Maybe, if I had a six-album collection.  I just listened to four below-average albums back to back to back to back.  At least drinking beer is a necessary part of the process.


No comments:

Post a Comment