Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Band Wars--Quarters--M83 vs. Lotus Plaza

M83, Hurry Up, We're Dreaming




Lotus Plaza, Spooky Action from a Distance



M83's Hurry Up, We're Dreaming starts off with three hooky tracks and soaring vocals.  An ambient song four leads right into "Wait," a moment that seems to announce the variety of the album.  From there, we bounce back and forth from ambient track to another hooky track with soaring vocals and catchy synths.  The sound is anthemic.  You feel like you're listening to something important--but then you are undermined by the story-telling of a child (track 6).  It's hard for me to find a weak spot, so I gave up and enjoyed myself.  This is a good album for almost any moment--except for parties.  Most of it is too mellow and atmospheric for a party.

Here's "Intro"



Spooky Action at a Distance is also a fantastic album.  You feel yourself carried by the echo-y vocals and tremendous guitar loops.  You wonder whether he's worried about his voice the way he buries it in the music, but it doesn't matter.  It works.  Here's "Out of Touch"



"Monolith" is a good song too.

M83 is just better.  I write this despite feeling that I'll end up playing Spooky Action at a Distance more than Hurry Up, You're Dreaming.  It's close.  The Lotus Plaza album is closer to my "default" music, the type of stuff I play all of the time.  Despite that, I can't shoot down M83.  But you should really check out both albums.  The last of the albums by Deerhunter alumni is finished.  Bummer.

Edit: Five minutes after this decision, I regret my choice.  Too late now.

No comments:

Post a Comment