Saturday, May 5, 2012

Band Wars

I want to play a game that combines two of my favorite hobbies: music and celebrity deathmatches.  To that end, I have created Band Wars (TM): a game in which bands compete with one another like NCAA college basketball teams or really organized midget wrestlers.

My idea is pretty basic.  I'll choose 16 albums released in the last 12 months and assign them randomly to slots above.  I will listen to two competing albums and assign a winner.  Albums will advance tournament style to compete against other winning albums until we have one undefeated album remaining.  The prize for the winning album will be me drinking beer.  The ultimate goal will be for me to learn more about the music I have.

(This 12-month cutoff works because it just barely excludes the Tune-Yards WHOKILL album and Nicolas Jaar's first album, both of which I reviewed in earlier posts on this blog.  The championship match would likely boil down to a battle between these two.)  

The sixteen albums that I have chosen meet the above criterion.  New albums.  They are the following:

1. Girls--Father, Son, Holy Ghost

2. St. Vincent--Strange Mercy

3. Youth Lagoon--Year of Hibernation

4. M83--Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

5. Real Estate--Days

6. Atlas Sound--Parallax

7. Cloud Nothings--Attack on Memory

8. John Talabot--fin

9. Grimes--Visions

10. Frankie Rose--Interstellar

11. Perfume Genius--Put Your Back N 2 It

12. Julia Holter--Ekstasis

13. The Men--Open Your Heart

14. Lotus Plaza--Spooky Action at a Distance

15. Chromatics--Kill for Love

16. Spiritualized--Sweet Heart Sweet Light




After assigning random spots, we have the following brackets:


What I like about this bracket is that, despite the randomness, we have a first round matchup between Girls and the Men.

Just eyeballing it, I think the toughest of the four mini-brackets are the top right and the bottom left one.  The strongest first round matchup seems to be either St. Vincent vs. M83 or else, once again, The Men vs. Girls.

Anyhoo, I'll update this daily over the coming week and a half, with mini-reviews of the albums.  Most of this stuff is indie or electronic music.  Hope you like that kind of stuff.

1 comment:

  1. haha, men vs girls was the first one i noticed too.

    ReplyDelete