Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Pavement Tribute

Mudwig posted cool lyrics to a song he likes, so why can't I?

This is from "Here," from Pavement's Slanted and Enchanted, one of my favorite albums:

I was dressed for success 
But success it never comes 
And I'm the only one who laughs 
At your jokes when they are so bad 
And your jokes are always bad 
But they're not as bad as this 
Come join us in a prayer 
We'll be waiting, waiting where 
Everything's ending here 
And all the sterile striking it 
Defends an empty dock you cast away 
And rain upon your forehead 
Where the mist's for hire if it's 
Just too clear 
Let's spend our last 
Quarter stance randomly 
Go down to the outlet once again 
Painted portrait of minions and slaves 
Crotch mavens and one night plays 
Are they the only ones who laugh 
At the jokes when they are so bad 
And the jokes are always bad 
But they're not as bad as this 
Come join us in a prayer 
We'll be waiting, waiting where 
Everything's ending here 
And all the spanish candles 
Unsold have gone away to this 
And a "run-on piece of mount on" 
Trembles, shivers runs down the freeway 
I guess she spent her last quarter randomly 
I guess a guess is the best I'll do 
I'll do, last guess 
Last time, last time is the best time


Now Pavement's not known for their lyrics, but this song struck me especially good.  Here's the song:


Anyhoo, it's an uneven album.  But after a while, it's unevenness is what makes it great.

No comments:

Post a Comment