Friday, May 4, 2012

I Seriously Need a New Hobby

Please oh please bring poker back to the U.S. citizens so I can have something else to do in this entertainment-free country (UAE).

In an earlier post, I mentioned downloading four albums last night.  Have only listened to one of them all the way through.  The other three I sampled a song or two.

Early verdicts:

Herbie Hancock, Head Hunters--Fun!  It's a 1973 album that mixes jazz with funk.  Definitely a catchy first tune.  Just a few songs on the album, each of which clocks in at 12 minutes or so.  Makes me want to search for some more Herbie Hancock.

Talking Heads, Remain in Light--Of course I'm familiar with a lot of their songs, but I never picked up an album before.  The first three songs sound solid.  Seems like an upbeat, quirky album--which is pretty much what I expected.

Girls, Father, Son, Holy Ghost--This is the one that I was most excited to find, yet I only played one song. Track one sounds strong and rocks pretty good.  Based on the group name and the female lead singer, I assume it's a female band.  Logic!  I'll be curious to see how similar Girls is to Sleater Kinney, another female rock band that I used to listen to a lot.

ADDED NOTE: Shows what I know.  Lead singer isn't female.  Guess I should pay more attention.  Just some more indie dudes.  Still, pretty good album so far (currently listening to track 3).

Wye Oak, Civilian--I listed to Civilian all the way through and was very impressed.  I had their earlier album and thought it was okay.  This one is far, far better.  My only issue is that they suffer from shock-sound-itis: suddenly blasting you with sound, even on the fairly mellow songs.  To their credit, they did this far more on the earlier album.

If I had to give Civilian a Mudwig-style rating, I'd probably give it 14/20.  Good album.  I hope it slides into my rotation.  I find that I don't really have control over what my rotation will be.  The rotation music just finds itself being played of its own accord.

No comments:

Post a Comment