Thursday, May 17, 2012

Comparing Phil Galfond's Rise with Mine; Band Wars

Phil Galfond wrote a post recently describing how he got into poker.  It's a long read, but it's worth it.  He starts with freshman year of college and goes through the steps that led him to dropping out and focusing full-time on online poker.  He deposited $50 and ran it up to millions.  I deposited $50, played 25NL limit until I lost it, then redeposited $50 and dropped down to one-cent/two-cent unlimited hold them, which I 24-tabled for years at a win rate of a beer an hour.  In short, I drank myself even.

In a way, though, I think Galfond's post is the kind that will encourage a few dozen 19-year-old schmucks to slack off at school and blow their wad at the nearest poker table.  You can't control stupid.

Which leads to another piece of news.  Twoplustwo is back up and running.  Just another site to waste 15 minutes on daily.

* * *

After a week-long hiatus, I've resumed downloading music again.  Last night, I downloaded these albums:

Fever Ray, Fever Ray

as well as everything that I believe that Boards of Canada has ever put out:

Twoism
Aquarius
Peel Sessions
Geogaddi
Trans Canada Highway
Hi Scores
Music Has the Right to Children
In a Beautiful Place out in the Country
The Campfire Headphase


If you've never heard of Boards of Canada, I recommend them highly.  I would start with Music Has the Right to Children, a truly incredible album--an energizing, uplifting album of electronic and ambient music.

In any case, I look forward to going through Boards of Canada's catalog over the next two weeks.

* * *

Three weeks ago, I found a file to download that contained a full 17 (!!!) of John Coltrane's albums.  Now I knew a little about Coltrane--mostly from the A Love Supreme and Blue Train albums--but holy christ, his last albums are mindblowing freakouts.  If you ever want to hear him at his wildest, try Interstellar Space.


* * * 

In the next Band Wars matchup, we pit polar opposites against each other.

The introspective, electronic, vulnerable, melodic Youth Lagoon, Year of Hibernation




against aggressive, rocking, ecstatic sounds of the Men, Open Your Heart




Youth Lagoon has a sweet, yearning sound, with vocals masked by distortion that makes him sound like an echo.  Despite its melody, it feels sparse.  You imagine a lone musician recording one instrument at a time and mixing them all together.  So in every way, production, lyrics, and overall feel, it is a lonely album.  I don't mean that it is a sad album in every way.  There are uplifting moments, where the light gets through the curtains, such as in "Daydream."

"Daydream"


The Men's Open Your Heart is full of guitar jams.  It also started to annoy me.  Despite an impressive first listen, this album is not going to be one that I play very often.  Therefore:

No comments:

Post a Comment