Sunday, February 10, 2013

Album Capsules--Jacco Gardner

Jacco Gardner

Cabinet of Curiosities

66/100

Playing psychedelia that sounds like it's straight from the late sixties, Jacco Gardner seems to be trying to out-Barrett Syd Barrett, the heart of Pink Floyd till he went loony from LSD.  Because Barrett immediately springs to mind when listening to this album, Jacco's music suffers doubly with tracks that sound too similar but also don't sound imaginative enough.  After playing this, you'll probably find yourself craving some real psychedelia.  Might I recommend Piper at the Gates of Dawn?

"I've got a bike,
You can ride it if you like,
It's got a basket
A bell that rings
And things to make it look good
I'd give it to you if I could
But I borrowed it.

You're the kind of girl that fits in with my world
I'll give you anything
Everything if you want things." --"Bike," Pink Floyd

Meanwhile, the girl in the song is running like hell in the other direction.  Now that's the kind of crazy that psychedelia needs.  Too bad Syd went nuts.  Or maybe he was nuts when he arrived.  Anyhoo, here's Jacco's "Help Me Out."


No comments:

Post a Comment