Thursday, September 20, 2012

Leaving UAE

I have decided to leave the UAE at the end of this school year--late June of 2013.

I have one basic feeling about this decision.  It goes something like this:

G'BYE SHITHOLE!

It is such a good feeling.  This place has served its one true purpose--to get me out of debt.  I will have the entirety of my law school loans paid off by this Christmas.  In essence, I will have gotten rid of a $110,000 debt over the span of 2 years and 5 months.  That's the upside of being here, and it is significant.

One of the most common things that I've heard people say but not really mean is "Money is not a strong motivation for me."

Bullshit.  I hear them say it, and I immediately think, Do they really believe themselves?

For me, money is a strong motivator when I am in debt.  I hate debt.  As soon as I owe money, I want to pay it off ASAP.  If I have a lot of debt, I stress the fuck out.  Back in undergrad days, I racked up $10k in debt on a credit card and I kept thinking, 10k!  How in the world am I ever going to pay off ten THOUSAND dollars?

It seemed insurmountable.

Years later, fucktard that I am, I decided, Why not go to law school?  The decision seemed like such a good idea at the time.  So off I went to Colorado, where I proceeded over the span of three years to accumulate eleven times the debt that used to flip my shit.

I became strongly motivated to get rid of it, and teaching in the UAE turned out to be the best way to do that.

So that'll be nice.

Let me clue you in to some of the downsides of living in the UAE:

43 degrees Celsius


People unable to confront the growing evidence that their God may not exist


Lack of useful career experience

Wealthy, mentally retarded students

Insane drivers

Wealthy, insane, mentally retarded students driving past me at 200 kilometers per hour in 43 degree heat



But they're harmless for the most part.  But I have to tell you, dealing with morons all day every day really sets in the brain rot something fierce.

I may have gotten rid of debt here, but this place has also made me stupider.

No comments:

Post a Comment