Saturday, March 9, 2013

New Quincy Post, and Searching for Sugar Man

After a long, busy week, during which I had to postpone my regular Thursday Quincy post, I was finally able to put up a longer-than-usual Chapter 26, concluding the episode of Quincy's kidnapping by Gambers Anonymous.  I hope you enjoy it.  The next few weeks should be much easier for me to maintain my regular blogging schedule.

Aside from that, I've got a bunch of music that I've been downloading lately yet have not had an opportunity to listen to.  Some new releases that I will be checking out over the next week include:

The Men, New Moon
Mogwai, Les Revenants Soundtrack\
Waxahatchee, Cerulean Salt
Chelsea Light Moving, Chelsea Light Moving (new album by the dude behind Sonic Youth)
David Bowie, The Next Day
Youth Lagoon, Wondrous Bughouse
Sally Shapiro, Somewhere Else

So in terms of music, it looks to be a good week.  One of life's big pluses is stacks of new music.

I've also been lucky to check out a couple of good movies lately, especially Silver Linings Playbook, for which I think that Bradley Cooper should've won the Oscar for Best Actor over Daniel Day Lewis . . . but I know I'm in a tiny minority with that opinion.

Winning the Oscar for Best Documentary this year was Searching for Sugar Man, a movie that starts off slowly but has a marvelous conclusion.  In a nutshell, the story is about a Dylanesque musician from Detroit who recorded a couple of albums in the early seventies, yet never garnered any kind of following in the States, which led to him being dropped from his label.  And then?  He disappeared from the music scene.

If you haven't heard about the film, I won't say anything more than that, because I don't want to give anything away.  But his story leads to amazing places.

It's really worth checking out.

1 comment: