Saturday, March 2, 2013

Quincy, Music

I had time for three Quincy episodes this week.  Readers may notice that Quincy is taking a bit of a darker turn, which may be more enjoyable for me than for you, but I have a plan for the guy.  I've got to build up some parts of the story before I can start on the lengthy final act.  And with the story to contain fifty mini-chapters, I've got lots of room to work with.  Hopefully, it works out.

Sad to say, the darker the story gets, the more I enjoy it.  I still haven't flushed out of my system the black-humor novels that I read far too many of in college days.  Nathanael West's Miss Lonelyhearts, Robert Coover's Universal Baseball Association, J. Henry Waugh Prop., Joseph Heller's Catch 22, Donald Barthelme's The Dead Father, John Kennedy Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces--so much morbid hilariousness to be found there.  It's inevitable, I think, that I'd end up trying to imitate, in my own half-assed, inept way, that sense of humor.  In any case,  I greatly appreciate all of the comments I've gotten so far.

Music this year has been fairly tremendous.  No "great" albums, but still there have been several very good ones.  Below are all of the new albums I've checked out so far.  Work is getting busier, as it tends to do once I get past the first couple of weeks.  Quizzes, the grading of quizzes, club meetings, and department meetings tend to suck away my free time.  Still, I'm optimistic that I can maintain my expected schedule of adding at least two new Quincy chapters per week and checking out at least ten new albums per month.  If I can keep up that schedule with Quincy, the finale should be appearing sometime near the end of May or the beginning of June--right before I leave UAE and head back to the States for good (maybe).

2013 Albums so far (the newest releases--last two weeks or so--are in bold):

Foxygen--We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic (88/100)

My Bloody Valentine--MBV (87/100)


Yo La Tengo--Fade (85/100)

Atoms for Peace--Amok (84/100)

Matmos--The Marriage of True Minds (83/100)

Wooden Wand--Blood Oaths of the New Blues (83/100)


Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds--Push the Sky Away (82/100)

Autechre--Exai (82/100)

Nosaj Thing--Home (81/100)

Grouper--The Man Who Died in His Boat (81/100)

Parquet Courts--Light Up Gold (80/100)

Jim James--Regions of Light and Sound of God (80/100)

Iceage--You're Nothing (79/100)

Indians--Somewhere Else (79/100)

Mountains--Centralia (78/100)

Local Natives--Hummingbird (78/100)

Ex Cops--True Hallucinations (77/100)

Toro Y Moi--Anything in Return (77/100)


Broadcast--Berberian Sound Studio (74/100)

Night Beds--Country Sleep (74/100)

A$AP Rocky--Long.Live.A$AP (72/100)


Foals--Holy Fire (71/100)

California X--California X (70/100)

Four Tet--0181 (70/100)

Pantha du Prince & The Bell Laboratory--Elements of Light (67/100)


Widowspeak--Almanac (67/100)

Jacco Gardner--Cabinet of Curiosities (66/100)

Frightened Rabbit--Pedestrian Verse (66/100)

Brokeback--Brokeback and the Black Rock (57/100)

Everything Everything--Arc (46/100)


Jamie Lindell--Jamie Lindell (16/100)

No comments:

Post a Comment