Saturday, January 19, 2013

Album Capsules--A$AP Rocky

A$AP Rocky

Long.Live.A$AP

72/100

Do you like to stop at a red light and blast gangster music that makes the dude next to you wonder if he's about to get carjacked--that is, until he looks over and realizes with relief that it's only you?  If so, this album is right up your alley.  The songs are well-produced braggadocio about outrapping you, drinking purple drinks, stealing your woman, blasting your ass, and leaving you by the side of the road. I used to enjoy rap more when Public Enemy was part of this universe, but that kind of golden-years remark just makes me sound like an oldster, doesn't it.  The title track below is probably his best.  The falsetto chorus is as unexpected as it is unnerving.



2 comments:

  1. bunch of ig'nant little niglets
    haven't heard that in a while

    I wanted to hate this song, but it's kinda catchy -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I agree. Rap isn't much of my thing anymore, but I'm trying to expand my horizons. Maybe I'll start to like it again.

    I'm not much of an R&B fan but Frank Ocean's Channel Orange was fantastic last year. Maybe there's a rap gem out there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete