Saturday, January 26, 2013

Blogging into Nonexistence

I started blogging back in 2004 or so.  Back then, I had a poker blog called Government Cheese, which was full of wise-ass posts about horrible microstakes players on PokerStars.  It was tremendous stress relief.  Some forumers on twoplustwo mentioned it in a post or two, and suddenly my readership skyrocketed.

When I say skyrocketed, I mean moving from 20 views per day to 400.  Not a lot of views in either case, but a big jump nevertheless.

After I killed that blog, I started a second one, the Epileptic Chihuahua.  I think it was an imitation of the first, with the only real difference being that my number of readers ended up being 75 percent less than my first one.  Eventually, I killed that one.

This blog has been going since April, and my number of hits are ninety percent less than the second blog.

I am blogging myself into nonexistence!  Call me an American success story in reverse.  If you want to be depressed, watch the movie of my blogging life from beginning to end.  (It's a short movie; you won't finish your popcorn.)  If you want to be happy, play it backwards.

Start a fourth blog, with the goal of one reader?  Awesome.

I am imagining a blogger who has posted daily for a couple of years and has never had a reader.  Sad?  Funny?  I'm leaning to the funny side on that one.  Nevertheless, I should count my blessings.

I mention all of this not as a complaint of any sort.  In fact, all of this makes sense to me, with the way that I keep changing my subject matter.  It's awfully difficult to blog about poker when I don't play anymore.  And my current subject matter is, in my opinion, less interesting than my poker content.

Maybe I should've taken that Emirati student up on his offer to play heads up poker with him last semester . . .

In any case, thanks for reading.  I'm having fun with it.  I must be; this must be my fifth post of the day.  Either I'm having fun with it or else I've developed a new obsessive-compulsive disorder.

7 comments:

  1. Fun is all that matters.
    If you don't get enjoyment out of it do something else.

    I as well have been kinda sorta blogging for quite a while - though I never made it public or had a readership.
    And, I wouldn't start new blogs, I'd just delete the old shit and start over from the same location.

    This, though, is the longest I've ever kept it up.

    Congrats on dwindling your readership over the years, we all have to be proud of something :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I try not to care about how many people read my rambling. Still, I check the stats often.

      Delete
  2. if you start a new blog i will hunt it down, i will find it, and i will, read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Since you're the one who encouraged me to start blogging again, I believe you.

      Delete
  3. UP to now, I had no idea this blog was here. I've added it to my reader, so there!

    ReplyDelete