Saturday, January 26, 2013

January Music Roll Call (So Far)

Well, here are the new releases I've checked out so far this month.

Foxygen--We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic (88/100)

Yo La Tengo--Fade (85/100)

Wooden Wand--Blood Oaths of the New Blues (83/100)

Mountains--Centralia (78/100)

A$AP Rocky--Long.Live.A$AP (72/100)

Pantha du Prince & The Bell Laboratory--Elements of Light (67/100)

Brokeback--Brokeback and the Black Rock (57/100)

Everything Everything--Arc (46/100)

Naturally, I'm excited about Yo La Tengo's newest CD--they're one of my favorite bands--but the highlight is a surprise by a band with the goofball name of Foxygen.  Another is the Wooden Wand album.  Aside from those two, there are a few decent instrumental albums of various types, as well as a rap album that is actually pretty good.

I'm also looking forward to listening to a few more January releases: Parquet Courts' Light Up Gold, California X's self-titled album, and Widowspeak's Almanac.  If I keep up this pace--doubtful since I'm planning my big move to the states in July, which should result in an extended period without the innertubes--I'll have 100-120 albums from 2013.  Every year, I seem to sink more deeply into this new hobby.  I've heard more than once that a good definition of happiness is "losing time" in something.  I used to lose time in poker; now I lose time in this.

I lose time when I sleep.  I love to sleep.  Hmm.  Consciousness = suffering.

Now if only I can find a way to sit at a live poker table--or, better yet, 24-table on Stars--with my ipod on shuffle . . . 

4 comments:

  1. 24 tabling the penny games on stars :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. + absurd, cartoon-like, nonsensical trashtalk :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A$AP Rocky is playing the Mirage here very soon.
    At least according to the sign I saw heading to and fro the poker room this evening.

    Pic will be included in my next blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saw that pic. I've been to one rap concert. It was near Sacramento, and as a white guy I was definitely in the minority. Didn't know whether to be worried until I smelled marijuana from all directions. Even though it was Public Enemy, it was one of the most peaceful concerts I've ever been to.

      Delete