Monday, January 14, 2013

New Album by Band No One Listens to

Yo La Tengo just released a new album, "Fade."  YLT might be one of the best bands that few people list to.  If it isn't my all-time favorite band, then it is certainly in the top 5.

Anyhoo, I've got a copy of the album but haven't given it a listen yet.  So far, the reviews have been good, but not outstanding.

What kind of music does YLT play?  Generally, their style is all over the place--folk, noise rock, shoegaze, electronic, and straight-up indie.  They are quite a creative band.  If I had to choose their strongest influence, I'd probably throw up my hands and guess the Velvet Underground.  These guys have been playing music since 1984.  It's not often that an indie band demonstrates this much staying power . . . and builds up such a strong catalog.

In any case, this is a very happy week.  I've got a new YLT album just waiting for me to listen to it.

If you're interested in checking out the band, their two best albums, in my opinion, are I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One and And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out.

From the former album, here's "Autumn Sweater."


And from the latter album, here's "Let's Save Tony Orlando's House."


Back when I used to 24-table 25NL (and lower) on PokerStars, I used to make a game out of playing "Let's Save Tony Orlando's House" every time I stacked someone for 100 big blinds or more.  Even when I hear it now, it sounds like a celebration song.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. i love the idea of a success song. i also find those two songs interesting. maybe i'll get the albums

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! If you do, you'll find on the first couple of listens that the albums are supremely mellow. Over time, they should really creep up on you.

    ReplyDelete